“Now who is there to harm you if you are zealous for what is good? But even if you should suffer for righteousness’ sake, you will be blessed. Have no fear of them, nor be troubled, but in your hearts regard Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defence to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect, having a good conscience, so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behaviour in Christ may be put to shame. For it is better to suffer for doing good, if that should be God’s will, than for doing evil.” 1 Peter 3:13-17
This month we have been thinking about these words of Scripture as we consider the wonderful hope that we have in Christ and how we can engage a needy world by giving a reason for this hope. We really appreciate your prayers for us as we seek to know Jesus better and make him known.
In these unusually warm February days it’s not so hard to imagine that summer is fast approaching, and with it many opportunities to share the good news of Jesus Christ with both holiday-makers and locals in and around Scarborough. Although still a number of months away, we would like to focus some attention on praying for three different evangelistic opportunities that we are planning for this summer: The Town Centre Mission: 5th to 9th August; Beach Mission: 17th to 24th August; and Holiday Club: 27th to 30th August.
– Please pray for those organising the various events over the summer.
– Pray that during each of these weeks that the gospel would be shared through talks and many conversations.
– Please pray for the church family to commit to serving at the different weeks.
– In particular, please pray for the holiday club. It is the first one that we will have run as a church but we think the time is right to do so. Pray for the organisation of it, the advertising through local schools and for the children in the church family to be inviting their friends and classmates.
– We would also love to put together a team of people from outside Scarborough who would like to join us for one of the weeks. Why not prayerfully consider whether you would be able to help out as part of the team or pass this information on to someone who might be interested.
– Over the past few weeks we have run a number of different events where something of the invitation Jesus offers was shared. Please give thanks for those that came to our international food night (see pics below), our film night and our healthcare professionals dinner. Pray for many to come to our Explore course, and for those that invited people along to be following up conversations with them.
– Please pray for our Ceilidh event at the beginning of March. We are praying that many will join us for this event as Lee speaks on “Will heaven be boring?” Also we will be starting our Explore course for any who would like to find out more. Pray that the church family would be bold in inviting friends along and for people to be saved.
– Give thanks for the steady growth of our Sunday congregation and for a number of non-believers who have been coming to church. We are thrilled that last week one lady, who has been coming to church since the Christmas Fun Day, repented and believed the good news.
– In February, we have been having a break from the regular life group series linked to our Sunday sermons, in order to spend some time going through John Lennox’s excellent book ‘Have No Fear’. Please pray for those involved in our mid-week groups to be motivated and equipped to share the gospel with those God has put them in contact with.
– In our sermon series on Isaiah we have been encouraged by the mighty power, sovereignty and mercy of God in providing a rescue for an undeserving people. Please pray that as a congregation we would grow in our understanding of who God is, so that we might grow in maturity and so that we might make Jesus known.
Thank you for your partnership in the gospel,
Trinity Church Scarborough